Total Pageviews


Friday, June 21, 2013

Honey Harvest


I harvested honey this afternoon.  I didn’t harvest last fall because I had a huge hole in my leg and I was ordered (by the doctor) to stay off of it and keep it clean.  I should have harvested early this spring, but for so many reasons didn’t.  I tried to harvest about 6 weeks ago but could not because the queens had started laying eggs in the supers that normally contain only honey. 

I chose the first day of summer and the hottest day of the year so far.  It is over 90 degrees and over 90 percent humidity.  I was covered from head to foot in protective gear.  Thankfully there was a nice breeze that saved me.  I didn’t realize how hot I was until I finished and was walking to the house and got “shaky” and felt like I was going to pass out.  I think I finished just in time. 

I give the bees as much space as I can, so they are not completely crowded.  I have a spacer that gives them about 4 inches at the top for air movement.  One of the hives was completely full of honey, every frame was being used.  They decided to use that little space to build come comb.  I honestly don’t know how much honey was built there, but it was heavy!  Phil took it to the house and scraped it onto some platters, cake pans etc.  I think it is time to start selling comb honey! 





We are going to put the frames through the extractor tomorrow morning when it is still relatively cool.  I pulled over 30 frames of honey and there is still a lot left that is not capped, not ready to be harvested.  We will harvest again in the fall.  This will be our best year for honey production.

No comments:

Post a Comment