Total Pageviews


Sunday, September 20, 2009

Canning Day

As the summer season winds down, I am compelled to preserve as much as I am able. I know that my time in the garden in very limited so I must save what I want now. I have picked all of the tomatoes, beans, sweet peppers, carrots, and zucchini. I will still have some zucchini and beans, but not much else. Last night I scrubbed the carrots and chopped the tomatoes. I put a roasting pan in the oven with tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery and carrots. It cooked very slowly all night and this morning I had a wonderful pasta sauce ready to can. I started the vegetable beef stew last night, and finished it this morning. It was a very productive day. I painted the front porch floor and canned 8 qt of pasta sauce, 27 pints of carrots, 22 pints and 17 quarts of vegetable beef soup.
Phil's friend came out and wired the barn so we finally have lights out back. I am so happy about that, because I have to hang the laundry in the dark many mornings! It will be wonderful to be able to see what I am doing! I look back and see so much progress .... we have worked so hard the last 2 years and I am finally starting to see some progress. This will be our 3rd winter out here. Every year I worry about loosing power, not being able to get to work because of ice/snow. Fortunately I have tons of PTO so I don't need to worry about it so much, but poor Phil doesn't have the luxury. I have been told this is going to be a bad winter. Keep your fingers crossed we don't loose power until we have a back up system figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment