Total Pageviews


Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chicken Update

I really don't have a lot of time to play on line.  I leave for work at 6:20 in the morning.  I get home sometimes 4:45 ... or if I need to stop for something later than that.  We normally work outside until dark.  That time is coming earlier and earlier now, but it has been as late as 9:30.  I am canning, gardening, harvesting, planting as needed, so needless to say I am busy.  I hope as winter approaches I will be wiser with my time and get some of the inside activities I have wanted to do .... done. 
The chickens are great.  I am so glad we have them.  I love listening to them as they wander around our property.  I love taking scraps to them and watching them devour whatever I take out.  They love melons.  Today I cut open one of our little mini melons and ate 1/2 of it.  I took the rind outside and within minutes everything but the hard outside shell was gone.  Marci wants me to make watermelon pickles for the kids ... I don't know how I can save the rinds to do it!!  Phil has them following him around.  Every time he calls them they run, and follow like the pied piper.  I am not around as much as he is, so they don't follow me as well.  They are starting to lay better and better.  Today I got 6 eggs.  Yesterday 5.  I am so happy to see them laying more, so they can start paying for their own food.  So far I have 2 customers.  I found someone very close to my work by advertising on Craigs list.  I also have someone at work who wants to buy my eggs.  I guess if they keep this up, I will need to find more customers. 
I would like to have more chickens.  I am still a little insecure about the butchering ...... but I will be able to get it done.  I like the growing process better!

No comments:

Post a Comment