Total Pageviews


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pennies from heaven

Phil and I went to the grocery store the other day. We came out about the same time as a guy carrying a case of beer. I am not sure why I even noticed him, but I saw as he walked out the door of the store he raised his hand and threw money on the ground. I thought surely he must have thrown some pennies down, but when I took the shopping cart back to the store I found 2 quarters and 3 pennies. I wonder if this person had so much money he could just throw it away? Why in the world would you simply throw money away like that?

I have always lived rather frugally, and I am comfortable with that. I have always lived below my means. I don’t enjoy shopping for expensive new clothing. I really would like to live in a home that had new working modern appliances and a large kitchen. But I am OK with what I have. I enjoy canning and preserving much of the food we consume. I totally love the chickens. I am not excited about butchering them, but it will be wonderful to have fresh chicken in the freezer.

I don’t really enjoy eating out in a fancy restaurant. I enjoy going out sometimes, but expensive restaurants put me on edge, always afraid I will do the wrong thing. I was raised in a very common family. We seldom went out to eat when I was a kid. I would rather grill out at home and eat at the picnic table (if I had one that didn’t wobble like crazy).

I wish I didn’t have to work full time, and could enjoy our home more. In another 15 years more or less that will be fulfilled. If I had been wiser with my investments I could probably retire earlier than 65 – 70. I was so busy raising the kids I didn’t put any money away until I actually started making money at my current job. I am thankful that I have every penny Mom left to us girls when she died, plus what I have been able to add to that every month. I don’t obsess about money, but I do want to be able to live above the poverty level when I retire. Mom and Dad taught the three older girls to save and work hard. (The youngest missed those lessons.)  I pray that I have passed along some of those lessons to my children.

Pennies from heaven picked up and invested can bring big dreams for the future, figuratively or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment